SharePoint 2010 is currently available in 3 editions
- SharePoint Foundation 2010
- SharePoint Server 2010 Standard
- SharePoint Server 2010 Enterprise
SharePoint Foundation 2010 is the newest version of Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services(WSS). It has minimal features when compared to the other editions.
Click on the below link to know the features in all the editions
All the editions of SharePoint 2010 will run on 64bit OS only. For more information on requirements and configuration, see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc288751.aspx
SharePoint Foundation 2010 requires a minimum of 4GB Ram for evaluation purposes and 8GB Ram for production use.
For evaluation purposes, Installing SharePoint Foundation 2010 on a developer machine can be a bit messy as it requires lot of resources and configurations. Most of the developers prefer a virtual machine(VM) to isolate SharePoint which will not hinder any normal machine configuration and resources.
There are lot of virtualization software’s out there in the market say Microsoft Virtual PC, Virtual Box, VMWare etc.
Microsoft Virtual PC is a free software but doesn’t support a 64 bit Guest OS. VMWare is a good software but its commercial. I preferred VirtualBox because it can support all types of Guest OS and is a free software. You can download it from http://www.virtualbox.org/.
My system configuration is as below
Host OS : Windows 7 64 bit
Guest OS : Windows 7 64 bit
RAM : 2GB
Installing Guest OS Windows 7 in VirtualBox
1) Download and Install VirtualBox software from http://www.virtualbox.org/ .
2) Create a new Virtual Machine by clicking on New to start a New Virtual Machine Wizard and click Next.
3) Type Name of the OS and choose OS Type, Version and Click Next.
4) Choose the amount of RAM required for the guest OS. It should be usually 30% of available RAM
5) Create a new virtual hard disk. Ensure Boot Hard Disk is checked.
6) A new Virtual Hard Disk will pop up. Choose Dynamically expanding storage and click Next.
7) Choose the location of virtual disk file and the size. Its best to allocate between 40GB-60GB space. Click Next and Finish.
8) The guest OS will show as Powered Off, so click on it and choose Start.
9) Once you click start, A first time run wizard will popup asking for location of Windows7 iso image file. If you have a installation cd or dvd, just point out to iso file otherwise you will receive an error no bootable medium found
If you receive this error, power off virtual machine, click on File->Virtual Media Manager from virtualbox main window
10) A new window box will popup with media manager settings. Click on CD/DVD Images. Click on Add, a file browser window will popup Online Pokies, locate installation iso file and click ok.
11) Select virtual machine and click on settings. Check for boot order, ensure CD/DVD ROM checked(prior to Hard Disk) and click Ok.
12) Now select virtual machine, click on Start. virtual machine starts windows 7 installation.
Installing SharePoint Foundation 2010 on Guest OS Windows 7
SharePoint Foundation 2010 on guest OS windows 7 requires OS to have certain prerequisites installed before installation begins.
The following prerequisites must be installed on guest OS Windows 7
SharePoint includes a PrerequisiteInstalle.exe tool that installs all of these prerequisites for you but it will run only on Windows Server 2008. In a one go, you can install Visual Studio 2010 to have all of these prerequisites except Windows Identity Foundation otherwise download and install them manually.
Before installation begins, the following required windows features have to be enabled otherwise installation fails.
If you want a share a folder from Host OS to Guest OS, install VirtualBox guest addons from virtual machine main menu->Devices->Install Guest Additions. After install, add shared folders through Virtual machine main menu->Devices->Shared Folders
Here is an excellent article explaining how to add shared folders
1) Download SharePointFoundation.exe from Microsoft website.
2) By default, the downloaded file cannot be installed on Windows 7 as it requires Windows Server 2008 and it gives following error
In order to install on windows 7, a config file has to be modified to allow installation.
a) Copy the SharePointFoundation.exe (or setup.exe) installation file to a folder
b) Extract the installation files by opening a Command Prompt window and then typing the following command at
the directory location of the folder
c) open the installation configuration file, config.xml, located in the following path: filesSetupconfig.xml
d) Add this line inside the <configuration> tag:
<Setting id=”AllowWindowsClientInstall” Value=”True” />
3) Open Setup.exe from the installation directory, A setup windows will popup.
4) Accept Microsoft Software License Terms.
5) Choose Standalone installation on Choose the installation you want page.
That’s it SharePoint 2010 will be installed successfully, if you followed above steps as it is.
Running Configuration Wizard
After you install SharePoint 2010, a Configuration wizard has to be run in order to setup SharePoint configuration and settings. The setup wizard shows an checkbox option to configuration wizard in the final step otherwise you can run it from Programs –> Microsoft SharePoint 2010 products-> Configuration Wizard.
After the configuration wizard is complete, you see the new SharePoint site.